Can I Install A Roof Rack Myself?
A roof rack is a great way to haul things like kayaks, snowboards, or even a rooftop cargo carrier for trips. They add a lot of functionality to your car and are practically a must-have item if you regularly haul things that are too large or bulky to carry inside your car or SUV. Additionally, they are an inexpensive way to protect the roof of your vehicle from scratches or other damage.
One question we hear a lot is "Can you install a roof rack yourself?" The answer is yes! There are a few steps to follow, but it's a lot easier than it looks. We'll show you how in this article.
How To Install A Roof Rack
Roof rack installation will vary slightly based on the style of the roof rack and the make and model of your vehicle. Check your owner's manual for any guidelines or information about installing roof racks including the location of the mounts and crossbars.
NOTE: These are general instructions. All our vehicle-specific products include more detailed instructions.
Step 1: Clean The Roof Of Your Car
The best time to install a roof rack is right after you wash your car. A dirty roof could result in dirt or grit getting underneath the mount feet.
Step 2: Install The Foot Mounts To The Crossbars
Roof racks are made up of two cross bars and four foot mounts that attach to the car's rain gutters or side rails. The foot mounts have hand screws for installation and adjustment. To install the foot mounts loosen the hand screws on the foot mounts so they are wide enough to attach to your vehicle's gutters or side rails.
Once the foot mounts are loose, install them on the crossbars as follows:
- Open the foot mounts wide enough to fit the crossbars. You'll want to install a foot mount at each end of the two cross bars.
- Determine the correct position of the foot mounts on the cross bars by measuring them from the inside edge. You will want to make sure the width is correct so the foot mounts can be attached to your vehicle's gutters or side rails.
- Once you've confirmed the measurements for the foot mounts, tighten them with the hand screws so they remain in place.
- Attach the pads to the foot mounts to prevent the roof rack from scratching your paint. Then install the caps at the ends of the crossbars to prevent water from getting inside.
Step 3: Position And Install The Rack
To attach the roof rack to your car:
- Open your vehicle's doors
- Place the rack on the roof, centering it and positioning it safely away from the top of the windshield. You will also want to make adjustments based on the length of your roof and to clear a sunroof or moonroof.
- Lock the foot mounts in place with the clamps. These clamps hook to the underside of your door and tighten in place.
After you've installed your roof rack you can still make adjustments to the rack's location or the distance between each crossbar.
ASG Auto Sports is committed to selling premium quality roof rack systems for less than our competition. Our BrightLines roof rails and racks are durable, dependable, and stylish products that repeatedly earn 5-star reviews. In addition to the quality of our products:
- We offer free and fast shipping. In-stock items ordered by 2pm Eastern Time will frequently ship in just one business day.
- Our best price guarantee means you always get the manufacturer's lowest prices when you shop with us.
- We strive to deliver high customer satisfaction with each order.
If you have questions please contact us at 800-469-7566 or email@example.com. We will respond quickly!