Can I Install Cross Bars Myself?
If you already have side rails on your car or SUV, a set of crossbars will add a lot of flexibility for hauling items on top of your roof. Most crossbars will support up to 150 lbs. of cargo that's either too big or bulky to carry inside your vehicle. Plus they are an inexpensive way to protect the roof of your car from scratches or damage. Best of all, they are super easy to install yourself!
Read on for general instructions on how to install crossbars on your vehicle.
How To Install Crossbars
NOTE: These are general instructions. All our vehicle-specific products include more detailed instructions.
Factory-installed roof rails make it easy to mount crossbars. However, the crossbar installation can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle or its style of roof rails. Check your owner's manual for information including where to position the crossbars and guidelines for how to install and use them.
Step 1: Clean The Roof Of Your Car
Always start by cleaning the roof of your car. A clean roof will help ensure you don't get dirt or grit under the crossbar mounts which could scrape up the roof rails or cause problems securing the crossbars.
Step 2: Assemble the Crossbars
Most kits come with two crossbars and four clamps that attach to the vehicle's roof rails. The first step is to assemble the crossbars by attaching the clamps as instructed in the installation manual. Typically this includes the following:
- Open the clamps wide enough to fit the crossbars. You'll want to install a clamp at each end of the crossbar(s).
- Determine the correct position of the clamps on the roof rails by measuring them from the inside edge. You will want to make sure the width is correct so the clamps securely fit your vehicle's roof rails.
- Tighten the screws on the clamps so they remain in place after you've confirmed the measurements for the roof rails.
- If the clamps for your crossbars have pads, install them as instructed and make sure they are secure. The pads prevent the clamps from scratching the roof rails.
- Check your owner's manual for the correct location of the crossbars and then attach the clamps to the roof rails. You'll want to make sure the clamps and crossbars are positioned safely away from the top of the windshield or where they would interfere with the operation of a sunroof or tailgate.
- Lock the clamps in place and tighten them so they are securely fastened to the roof rails.
After installing your crossbars, you can make adjustments to their position as needed depending on the size and weight of the items you're carrying.
ASG Auto Sports is committed to providing you premium quality roof rack systems for less than our competition. Our BRIGHTLINES crossbars are stylish, durable, dependable, and come with our best price guarantee. We also offer fast and free shipping - in-stock items frequently ship in just one business day when ordered by 2:00 PM Eastern Time.
If you have questions please contact us at 800-469-7566 or email@example.com.